Mark your calendar!
June 2-Aug. 25 – Open House Saturdays at the Homestead
Sunday, June 24 – Swiss Day at Ebenezer Mennonite Church
Saturday, September 22 – Fall Festival at the Homestead
The Schumacher Homestead (also known as the Swiss Haus) will be open to the public from 1-5:00 p.m. every Saturday in June, July, and August. Docents will be available each day to interpret the homestead’s history.
Areas open to visitors each Saturday afternoon will include: the restored 1843 house; the reconstructed summer kitchen; the restored workshop; the 1850s kitchen garden; the outdoor bake oven; the extensive grounds.
Each month, the 1854 barn will be open on the last Saturday and special activities will take place on the second Saturday:
June 9—making butter in the summer kitchen
July 14—children’s games outdoors or indoors depending on weather
August 11—working with tools in the workshop
There will be an admission charge of $5.00 for adults. Children 16 and under, accompanied by an adult, will be admitted free of charge, as will members of the Swiss Community Historical Society. SCHS memberships will be available for purchase on site.
Group tours, big and small, are available by appointment.
Please contact Joanne Niswander at 419-358-0186 to set up a custom tour. For more information, see our Tours page.
The Swiss Community Historical Society was founded over fifty years ago to honor and preserve the heritage of the Bluffton-Pandora community.
We do this by collecting and preserving papers, books, artifacts, and records of historical interest, and by acquiring property especially important to this heritage.
Many of our activities are focused around the Schumacher Homestead, garden, summer kitchen and bank barn, 8350 Bixel Rd, between Bluffton and Pandora.
The homestead was built in 1843 as part of the Swiss settlement in the Bluffton-Pandora area. Located on the Riley Creek, this 7-acre property includes a main house, summer kitchen, workshop, large bank barn and other outbuildings. The large bank barn
was built in 1854 and is one of the oldest barns in the area.